Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

Ruby Class help

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Ruby Class help

Postby tulamide » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:25 am

trogluddite wrote:
tulamide wrote:But whatever "course" I started it always ended with not connecting the dots.

When I think back to first learning OOP, I'm always reminded of the old joke: (Visitor) "Excuse me, could you tell me the way into town?" - (Local Person) "Oooh; if I was going there, I wouldn't start from here!". The familiar-looking syntax made it hard for me to see that OOP is a different way even to think about code in the abstract sense. I made it hard for Ruby to be my friend because I wanted to be the same control-freak micro-manager that ASM had taught me to be! :lol:

Haha! I remember when a mysterious thing called "Python 0.9b" was passed around mailboxes, and everyone thought "wth?" I couldn't create even the tiniest working code, not because of that obscure language, but because of my lack of understanding!
Without reference to the joke, I think as a guy who started his journey with "10 PRINT 'HALLO' 20 GOTO 10" and getting used to commands like PEEK and POKE, I've come a long, long way. :lol:
If you feel like gifting: https://paypal.me/tulamide
tulamide

Re: Ruby Class help

Postby RJHollins » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:14 am

tulamide wrote:
trogluddite wrote:
tulamide wrote:But whatever "course" I started it always ended with not connecting the dots.

When I think back to first learning OOP, I'm always reminded of the old joke: (Visitor) "Excuse me, could you tell me the way into town?" - (Local Person) "Oooh; if I was going there, I wouldn't start from here!". The familiar-looking syntax made it hard for me to see that OOP is a different way even to think about code in the abstract sense. I made it hard for Ruby to be my friend because I wanted to be the same control-freak micro-manager that ASM had taught me to be! :lol:

Haha! I remember when a mysterious thing called "Python 0.9b" was passed around mailboxes, and everyone thought "wth?" I couldn't create even the tiniest working code, not because of that obscure language, but because of my lack of understanding!
Without reference to the joke, I think as a guy who started his journey with "10 PRINT 'HALLO' 20 GOTO 10" and getting used to commands like PEEK and POKE, I've come a long, long way. :lol:

But ya know ... it kinda made me happy to hear you say this.

Or should I say .... it encourages me to hear you say that.

[and I do remember that time playing with my Commadore SX-64, and then later with GFA-Basic on the Atari-ST].

Those were the daze I could put the time in [as a self taught hobbyist] --- no Internet ... just magazines, books.

Was never really great at it, but wow, did it pull me in deep ... and I actually made useful Programs.

Like most here, I do hope for the day FlowStone evolves to the next version.

Just hope you Guys are still here !!!

Wish these Special Tutorials, Instruction, Learning session could be placed in some form of Sticky that would be easily available and expand over time.

You Guys are invaluable to this Forum. !! 8-)
RJHollins

Previous

Return to General