Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Linkwitz-Riley Disaster

For general discussion related FlowStone

The Linkwitz-Riley Disaster

Postby guyman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 am

So for a long time I have fooled with different butterworth/linkwitz riley crossovers and have not had much luck. I understand how to wire one up, I understand how to run the allpass filters to phase compensate, I understand to compensate for the 6.02/db dip at the XO for every 12db/slope.

I built my own out of butterworths, great phase response - no latency (other than phase) no noticeable distortion - but couldn't get the response correct due to the 6.02 dip and my lack of getting the peak band / Q width perfect for the compensation at the XO.

I've read up a bunch, and found the Dozius one on the filter, as far as I can tell, it works great EXCEPT the cutoff frequency is not full range, and only goes from 1k ^ (what gives?), and only 2nd & 4th order are available (I want steep controls !)

If someone could please come to the rescue, I'd love to finish the rest of my device but the end of the week, and there's a lot more to do. I wanted to do it alone but this Linkwitz-Riley XO has been a headache for too long.

I just need the perfect LWR crossover.
guyman

Re: The Linkwitz-Riley Disaster

Postby guyman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:11 am

ps. the 4th order is more than likely all I would ever need as I'm pretty sure anything more would introduce pre ringing to seriously mess up transients... I don't know. Please enlighten.
guyman

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:37 am

Here is a universal band splitter. Choose from 1 to 10 poles. The even ones are Linkwitz-Riley types with two stacked Butterworths, whereas the odd ones are single Butterworths, therefore they have a sharper knee.

For the inclined reader: the Reinsch biquads are my own design which handles low frequencies better than the direct forms.

Edit: the Reinsch biquads had problems with denormals, therefore replaced them with ZDF filters which also perform well at low frequencies.

Have fun!
Attachments
bandsplitter.fsm
Updated: modulatable variant inside
(71.58 KiB) Downloaded 882 times
Last edited by martinvicanek on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
martinvicanek

Postby guyman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:18 pm

King Martin.
guyman

Postby guyman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:23 pm

You really just made my week good sir. Happy Halloween.
guyman

Postby BobF » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks, these filter are nice, but can the freq be modulated (lfo or adsr)?

Many thanks in advance, BobF.....
BobF

Postby guyman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Uh oh bobby up to something real nice.
guyman

Postby martinvicanek » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 am

BobF wrote:can the freq be modulated (lfo or adsr)?

Updated my post above.

Thanks for the comments, glad you like it.
martinvicanek

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:07 pm

martinvicanek wrote:Here is a universal band splitter. Choose from 1 to 10 poles. The even ones are Linkwitz-Riley types with two stacked Butterworths, whereas the odd ones are single Butterworths, therefore they have a sharper knee.

For the inclined reader: the Reinsch biquads are my own design which handles low frequencies better than the direct forms.

Edit: the Reinsch biquads had problems with denormals, therefore replaced them with ZDF filters which also perform well at low frequencies.

Have fun!

Thank You :D
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to General