Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Custom dropdwn redraw problem.

For general discussion related FlowStone

Custom dropdwn redraw problem.

Postby lalalandsynth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:49 pm

I tweaked this dropdown from maestro Tulamide, initially ifI moved out of the dropdown area it would just stay there so now it closes on mouseover leaving area , in case you decide to select nothing. Perfect as such .

The dropdown opens if I am above a dot and right click.

But I still have this problem when editing dots that are close together as it does not close/redraw the dropdown, as I dont manage to move out of the mouse area.
Wondering if I can pull some trick to make it close/redraw on a second right click if drpdwn is still open.

Tried a few things but nothing that worked so far.

dropdwn.gif
dropdwn.gif (329.37 KiB) Viewed 13419 times

Also, a lesser issue but something I would like to understand.

When the dropdown goes over the area where the position indicator travels it hols onto this little chunk of the drpdwn menu . Does not do it if the pos indicator is not running.
Hold.gif
Hold.gif (193.8 KiB) Viewed 13419 times
lalalandsynth

Re: Custom dropdwn redraw problem.

Postby lalalandsynth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:00 pm

I think I managed to fix the multiple windows opening by tightening the mouseovr area..
Still have that lingering chunk though
lalalandsynth

Postby trogluddite » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 pm

Best guess: the drop-down has a 'Redraw Area' which is narrower than the drop-down module's MGUI and/or the GUI elements drawn there.

'Redraw Area' is best thought of as a hint to the graphics engine. You're making a promise; "I didn't draw anything outside here (so you can keep all the other pixels on the screen just as they are now.)"
But really, everything you draw is still constructed. Even stuff outside the redraw area is still there somewhere in an internal graphics buffer; you just don't see it because those pixels didn't have their new colours sent to the graphics card (in return for a nice efficiency saving, of course!)

But if something else comes along which does ask for that part of the screen to be updated (e.g. your indicator), the 'missing' pixels finally get sent from the internal buffer to the screen, and the 'hidden' drawing is revealed (but again, only in the bit which gets updated - hence the 'lump' is the same size as the indicator.)

When your drop-down is closed, the same happens; the 'lump' hangs around because the drop-down's redraw area doesn't ask for that part of the background to be refreshed - but again, the indicator does.

So have a look at the width and height of the module GUI, graphic elements, and the redraw area to make sure that your GUI is keeping the "I didn't draw outside here" promise. As a last resort, you could use a 'Clip' primitive, which really does cut a chunk out of whatever view you give it, but that's usually only necessary where constraining the drawing isn't possible any other way.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tulamide » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:45 pm

What trog said.

Also, this, as I recall, is my custom listbox. It was never designed as a dropdown, so there might be something missing in the Ruby code that would be needed for the depicted situation. Especially I never included any right click mechanic to convert the listbox into a dropdown. I think. Or something along those lines :lol:
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby lalalandsynth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:19 pm

hehe, its pretty nice for what I needed to do , so thanks ! :)

Just need to fix this little issue and its perfect .

Thanks for the advice Trog , will look into this .
lalalandsynth

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Hmm, looks very nice. But is this in FL Studio 12?

In fl 11 and prior there was no redraw error. But the way FL Studio 12 does it, redrawing acts weird. The way is to have an editor open prim with its boolean attached to a trigger switch which has two tick100's attached to it. Next attach that to a redraw (not redraw area).

In FL Studio 12, there's no getting around it. You could of course make it an option in Your settings or something rather than forcing the refresh.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:20 pm

"Best guess: the drop-down has a 'Redraw Area' which is narrower than the drop-down module's MGUI and/or the GUI elements drawn there"

Indeed ! Thanks again Trog :)
Fixed
lalalandsynth

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Excellent. Could You please PM Me Your creation?

I promise I won't steal anything (or share it) but Your designs really excite Me. I'm humbled by Your prowess. Really, it's a delight to see the kind of skill You've shared. I'd love to learn that frosty aluminum with glow accent look You go for.

lalalandsynth wrote:"Best guess: the drop-down has a 'Redraw Area' which is narrower than the drop-down module's MGUI and/or the GUI elements drawn there"

Indeed ! Thanks again Trog :)
Fixed
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby trogluddite » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:17 pm

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:But the way FL Studio 12 does it, redrawing acts weird. The way is to have an editor open prim with its boolean attached to a trigger switch which has two tick100's attached to it. Next attach that to a redraw (not redraw area).

Ouch! That's a pretty heavyweight solution to have to apply! I'm not familiar with the FL versions of FS, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of what's going on. A few questions come to mind, for the case when you don't have your solution in place...
- Do any parts get redrawn at all? (e.g. maybe animated or automation-enabled controls.)
- Does the cursor change and let you edit controls, even if you can't see them?
- Does it only happen when the VST window is closed/opened or has been hidden behind another window?
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Yeah Trog, the issue stems from the entire plugin not being seen. This happens especially when looking at the playlist view. Everything gets kewed, bg, knob. Sometimes there's a line. I've bought two graphics card and with the same dillema.

It could be just an "option" though. This at least resolves it.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to General