Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Kick synth changing the kick sound on new note

For general discussion related FlowStone

Kick synth changing the kick sound on new note

Postby djbrynte » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:03 pm

What can cause the problem when my synth changing kick sound every new note? Retrigger new or hold stolen what should i change?
djbrynte

Re: Kick synth changing the kick sound on new note

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:47 pm

The phase of the oscillator is probably changing. The oscillators in Flowstone are free running unless you do something to retrigger them.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby djbrynte » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Explain more mate. How do i fix this?
djbrynte

Postby djbrynte » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:27 pm

Perfect Human Interface wrote:The phase of the oscillator is probably changing. The oscillators in Flowstone are free running unless you do something to retrigger them.

So explain to me how do i retrigger the Oscilator?
How do i make this.

Explaining what to activate or make.

Not just like open cars front inside its cable. you need it to work. because if this cable not there the car wont work.
djbrynte

Postby djbrynte » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:45 am

I need help here how do i retrigg oscillator or what ever i need to retrigg?
djbrynte

Postby nix » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:06 am

I recommend u start playing with graphical amp envelopes.
However to retrig an osc- if it is poly(white) it automatically will

It is the sync Boolean that gets it to restart though, hmm
U can hook it to gate or trig from 'midi to poly'

I'll keep looking at this schem u have sent me, but please listen to mine.
I had to copy Nippy's work very carefully, or else it would lose it's fine sound
nix

Postby Spogg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:10 am

Perfect Human Interface wrote:The phase of the oscillator is probably changing. The oscillators in Flowstone are free running unless you do something to retrigger them.

Actually it depends. If the osc is running in blue it will free run forever.

If it’s running in white (poly) the osc will start, at the set phase, when a channel is opened by pressing a key. The channel will stay open until the envelope generator completes its release stage, and if there is more than one envelope generator it will be the longest set release time that determines the end point when the channel closes.

So, if the channel hasn’t closed due to a longish release time, and a new note is requested, a new channel will be opened for a new voice to sound. This assumes the number of MIDI voices set is more than 1.

Another point to consider is that if you re-trigger an ADSR rapidly, and have smooth retrigger set on the ADSR, the attack stage will start from the current envelope level, not from zero. In this case you’ll hear a different sound for rapid repeats.

It’s good preset programming practice to set the shortest release times you can on all envelope generators, and this will also keep the CPU use down.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby nix » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am

the smooth retrigger is a good point and may influence the kick.
try turning it off.

mmm- a free running blue oscillator can be phase trigged by flipping the sync bool-
it does free run otherwise though, which is the necessary trick if you desire free running LFOs etc.
It's pretty hard to do it another way afaik

regardies!
nix

Postby tulamide » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:56 am

Spogg wrote:

Actually it depends. If the osc is running in blue it will free run forever.

If it’s running in white (poly) the osc will start, at the set phase, when a channel is opened by pressing a key. The channel will stay open until the envelope generator completes its release stage, and if there is more than one envelope generator it will be the longest set release time that determines the end point when the channel closes.

So, if the channel hasn’t closed due to a longish release time, and a new note is requested, a new channel will be opened for a new voice to sound. This assumes the number of MIDI voices set is more than 1.

Another point to consider is that if you re-trigger an ADSR rapidly, and have smooth retrigger set on the ADSR, the attack stage will start from the current envelope level, not from zero. In this case you’ll hear a different sound for rapid repeats.

It’s good preset programming practice to set the shortest release times you can on all envelope generators, and this will also keep the CPU use down.

Cheers

Spogg

Good to read that my assumptions regarding white seem to be correct. Which raises the question, how do I synchronize two or more oscillators to make sure they start at exactly the same position of their waveform each time a key is hit? (Given that those oscillators make up one voice) Just hoping they will?
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:10 pm

@Nix:
If you set smooth retrig to off, the problem you may hear is a click as the ADSR instantly drops to zero to re-start when re-triggered. This is rarely desirable.
But for very short sounds it may be a good option to try. In this case, if the first sound has almost finished, the click will be at a very low level due to having a smaller amplitude drop.

@tulamide:
It doesn’t matter how many oscillators you have in a poly system, they will all start at the phase that is set for each of them. So if there is no phase input they will all start at phase 0 (or their “native” phase). However, when you have a note sounding and you play another additional one, a new channel is opened and those “new” oscillators will commence at their given phase and this will almost certainly not align with the existing ones currently sounding.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Next

Return to General