Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

My first assembly

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

My first assembly

Postby Phil Thalasso » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Hello you all.

The link below this post connects to a rar-ed file on google-drive which contains
a schematic with my first synth, in all modesty called "Phil One".
It comes in two versions.
Version two has the option of an extra formant filter and is rather very cpu-hungry.
It also includes an oscillator that is a combination of sorts.
No presets, although I am aware that Mr. Spogg provided a tutorial.
Due to a lack of time I just couldn't get into it yet.
The rar-container also includes a quick overview in PDF Format.

I know that the outcome is nothing new, it is cpu-intensive and I assume that much
could be done to optimize things. But hey, I finally got someting done in Flowstone :-)
I'm happy with it, as it doesn't sound all that bad.

Greetings and I wish you all a good day.

Regards

Phil

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_A26 ... nVMkGVLRye
Phil Thalasso

Re: My first assembly

Postby nix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Congrats!

I hope there is a FS answer for your questions/desires

Cheers- {sips cider}
nix

Postby Spogg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Hi Phil

Well done for what you’ve achieved so far.

I do like the GUI and the ideas.

A couple of initial points:

-When an oscillator is turned “OFF” in your schematic it’s not “properly” off and there is a dc offset from the folder module. This causes bad clicks even when off. The oscillator’s final output needs to be switched off by a selector so the CPU use is dropped, or you need a dc-blocking high pass filter at least.

-It’s always essential to have a clipper in series with the final output. This prevents the PC’s audio interface from getting illegally high levels. My previous sound card used to lock up if it got more than +/- 1V peak! The one I have now just makes some very odd noises.

Looking forward to seeing this project's progress…

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Phil Thalasso » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello Spogg,

thank you for your kind words and the technical advice. I have no idea what a dc-offset is, but I'll find out. The work-week has been dreadful so far, but I guess during the week-end I'll have time to look into things closer.
Once again thank you for all your good work you post. It helps an awful lot trying to understand things. I have to
admit that it's not easy to concentrate after a day in the office, so I just wonder how you get all your stuff done.
Your either a true Volcanian or just smart as hell, or both :-)

Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby Phil Thalasso » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Hello Nix,

and "Prost", as they say at Oktoberfest. I don't view FS much as a philosophical exercise. It's fun to tinker with, but I'll never make it to a master's transcendental level.

Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby Spogg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:55 pm

Phil Thalasso wrote:
... so I just wonder how you get all your stuff done.

Well, I retired 2 years ago (I'm 64) and Flowstone is my main hobby, so most days I can spend several hours messing about and having fun in my own geeky way. I've been learning Ruby these last few days and that's a luxury I would never have had while I was working. It's great to be able to go as deep into something as you want or need, without feeling too tired or guilty about the time spent. Plus, my wife loves reading and spends hours every day doing just that, so it works out really well.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Phil Thalasso » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:04 am

That sounds like a really good set-up you're in, Mr. Spogg. I'm happy for you that you obviously didn't fall into a retirement-slump as some people do. Learning a programming language is not what most folks would do for enjoyment, so that's a cool thing to do. I'm curious as to what you will first apply your newly found knowledge to.

Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Return to User Examples