Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Stock EQ V2

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Stock EQ V2

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:54 pm

NEWEST VERSION HERE
Stock EQ V31-44-working well.fsm
Version 31.44
(89.75 KiB) Downloaded 1210 times

I remember starting with this product and wishing there was a good stock EQ that could
get Me started towards understanding what I could make with this product.

So I made the stock EQ 2. It has all kinds of stuff; And as I have pointed out - Multiplication
has such a nice result that I made sure nearly all of the audio-wise stuff is built with that.

Furthermore; I removed instances of hotwired calculations just for experimentation.

This EQ has:
- A fruity style Gradient Analyzer
- Four bands
- Parallel naïve filter close to unity using what filters sounded the best together.
- 0.4% CPU when no analyzer, 1.4% with.
- Range setting (choose which dB You want)
- Automatic stereo width algorithm (Nice for vocals)

Thanks to: Tulamide, Spogg, Cyto, Infuzion, Dozius, Nubeat7, Adamszabo,
Martin Vicanek, MWVdlee , Halon, Myco, DWB, Bobf, Lalalandsynth,
Sam Bean, and special thanks to Niz for examples of co-efficients.

KG is Back is the reason We have this cool fruity gradient analyzer which is sweet!

Hope You all like it :)
Last edited by wlangfor@uoguelph.ca on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Re: Stock EQ V2

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm

cool, checking this out
lalalandsynth

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:10 pm

This lag on the stock EQ had always bothered me , I wonder if it can be fixed ?
Really like the display , have not checked the sound yet :)
Lag.gif
Lag.gif (214.84 KiB) Viewed 20439 times
lalalandsynth

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Also there is some sort of flicker on the analyser , you can see it in this gif.

EDIT: Its actually hard to see on the gif , but its shows up there for a split second on the bottom half , its constant when running in FS.

Flicker.gif
Flicker.gif (3.09 MiB) Viewed 20438 times
lalalandsynth

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Hmm, yes.

You know; in the tense of animation and lag - it is best to remove any instances of hotwiring. I have a feeling that the original
Synthmaker preferred straight math. But that issue had been from the beginning with KG's code. It's some anomaly that I
am not "in the know" of it's origin. I have noticed however; If the sound created is computed quickly with less delay; there is less of the effect. That would say to Me that the issue is a lack of a buffer. Could anyone be so kind as to point out a buffer for fft objects? It could be that I find something that can achieve this.

So, rather than "hotwiring" things; I've been using plain addition, subtraction and multiplication. I intend to go through the code meticulously and look for all tenses of this so that the code does not question itself.
The very fact that a hotwire can either subtract or multiply is a question. And if there are many many questions; Then, You and I realize there is less processor power available. The odd thing though is that hotwiring seems fast on the CPU; But start
and stop for visual elements.

So, this newer version I post now is much improved. I've tracked down more instances of division and I intend to learn more
about replacing division with multiplication due to the fact that division in C is a giant monster that can take decimals and
algebra into account. In fact, I believe that division is even designed to accept letters AND numbers so it's interpreter is
un-gainly. I guess that portion of division is only a Matlab thing; But early in programming conception it must have
seemed a real time saver to be able to plug in algebraic arithmetic like as is seen on paper, and I'd agree. But now,
the lack of having a simple division function is annoying because it's a slow function.

Perhaps, *sigh* I could try bringing all of the visual elements over to multiplication as well and see if that has any luck.

With that said, here's the new stock EQ version. In this version I use Martin Vicanek's High passes and Low passes only.
I then route ZDF's in Base Pass 2 mode as a replacement for traditional co-efficient's. This is a very stable and smooth
sounding incarnation and I am pleased that My time spent here has had such educational value.
I thank especially Adam Szabo, and Martin Vicanek for their examples and lengthly posting regarding zero delay modules.
I also thank the doubtful Tulamide who questioned My theories. It was due to My ego that I had to test the theory.
And it worked out very well - Nice to have a healthy ego moment.

The earlier version was something of a hack; I was experimenting with old school methods and ended up with that; But in
contrast this new version is world class. In fact, I claim that this new equalizer could make it into any TV or Movie production;
And without a doubt You could use it to master music as well. Don't spend any money; Just buy Flowstone and use this module.

The only error You might notice is that I hadn't the time to center the graphical elements using the results of the width and height of the view frame (I'm making the entire thing vector driven - so it can be resized). I will probably have to change the math for the value so that it takes the center of the EQ Bell into consideration.

So, there's a few things other than just bug fixes I wish to do to this.

• I'd like to add right click menus; I thought Ruby might be ideal to achieve this, and furthermore I'm thinking that I'll use an example from Trogluddite's toolz - it's a spinner knob that keeps spinning; and it requires you to circle the mouse around the object. I thought what would be better for the Q value?
    There can be a larger ball and a smaller ball and You spin the smaller ball around. I add this feature knowingly keeping in
    mind that there is a mouse wheel feature in 2.9. But for those who use laptops, and have a scroll wheel that's annoying
    (or a tablet PC) grabbing and spinning seems a nice alternative.
  • There's a bit of distortion when You max it; I'm currently fiddling around with the combination of Co-efficients from the
    lowpasses and highpasses as I feel that toying with the addition and subtraction only hinders My ability to keep sound at unity when at zero.
  • I intend to add a nice frequency guage in the bg: 100|200|500|1k|3k|6K|10K|17K
  • I think I'd like to replace the co-efficients for the graphical items with something faster
  • there's a stereo width feature in place - I'll tie it to the frequency grid and provide a "distance" setting as well.
    With that setting utilized the width for Low / Mid and High will vary due to laws of physics and what is perceivable by the
    human ear
  • In the past I've had some success with using ADSR like in a compressor. I thought I might try that based upon the same
    physics algorithm (closer has a longer attack and shorter release, longer has a longer release) and I thought Bootsy's
    one with hold might be interesting to try. It's not a stream after all, but it doesn't hurt to entertain the notion.
Last edited by wlangfor@uoguelph.ca on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby lalalandsynth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Cool, as for the interface and Q setting, you might want to have a look at Fabfilter Q2 , in my opinion one of the best eq interfaces.
lalalandsynth

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:22 pm

lalalandsynth wrote:Cool, as for the interface and Q setting, you might want to have a look at Fabfilter Q2 , in my opinion one of the best eq interfaces.

Yes, I remember something about that. What I decided upon was this. This is a simple mockup I made in MS paint:

And here's the file:

I'm all talked out about the planning; And intend to continue to make those realizations a reality. This is a lot closer
to My end goal. But for all intensive purposes it is just a prototype that has twinned presets and various other problems like
decibels maxing at below -18 (only supposed to go from 18 dB to -18) but it's a working model and making it has been a very
educational experience.

It seemed almost impossible a few months ago to make an equalizer but now I am well on My way.

I think I'll make another reply to this post so that I can post two more images:

BTW, I added the feature to send a (used a tooltip example) frequency and dBFS reading. Eventually it will have Q as well.
You can control the size, orientation, font, alpha transparency and readout text in one string declaration.
If You want to use it for anything be My guest. I was also able to improve the sound a bit. there's less clipping at high levels.

But I wondered if anyone could provide Me with advice for reducing clipping for My first two bands? perhaps I could limit just those two. At any rate I also added a sort of custom oversampling, I credit Martin Vicanek, Adam Szabo, Tester, STW, KG_IS_Back, Digitalwhitebyte, Tor, Megahurtz and jay.

I went with the Multi-type Oversampled ZDF, added a denormal on the first iteration and left it to the retrograde signal to be resampled (two denormals sounded odd). It's a very classic coloured style of oversampling. Remember when it was not so transparent? So it worked out well. Thanks for all of the examples I've learned so much :).

I added nice buttons; They do not have presets yet; I was just working out the details but from what I can tell; This is a top notch replacement of the stock EQ. Perhaps it can be an official addition due to it's having parallel processing?

Pretty cool either way; I like open source projects and I'm learning a lot. Thanks to everyone and especially Lalalandsynth, Martin Vicanek, Nix (Phonics), Nubeat7, Spogg, Tulamide and MichaelBenjamin.
Last edited by wlangfor@uoguelph.ca on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Two more images:
Last edited by wlangfor@uoguelph.ca on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby KG_is_back » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Hello guys,
The FFT analyser is from my early years in ruby. I can make it a bit more robust, and perhaps less CPU intensive if you're interested.
KG_is_back

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:37 pm

KG_is_back wrote:Hello guys,
The FFT analyser is from my early years in ruby. I can make it a bit more robust, and perhaps less CPU intensive if you're interested.

Yeah :), That'd be great.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Next

Return to User Examples