Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

3 awesome filter design ideas

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

3 awesome filter design ideas

Postby MANDANA » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:54 am

All the following filters would be better coded, but its okay to use greens. The first filter idea I want credit for, you can play around with my experiments in my vsti, and even use the filters in your songs. Have fun with it. Couldn't post the .dll version because I couldn't attach it.

1. Effect(s) filters:
This filter design was inspired by NI' Massive's scream filter, which are heavily distorted filters with cutoff frequencies at being tracked to the harmonics of the input. I have created a filter to mimic the scream filter. The design is filter on 2+ harmonic -> effect -> filter on 1st harmonic. You can create some awesome filters using this design method.

2. Granular filters:
I don't know much about Granular synthesis, but I've played around with the Quilcom Harvester, and granular effects made by Spogg. I'm not really a fan of Granular Synthesis, but it would be cool filter. You could invent a new genre: Granular dubstep.

3. Drawable filters with scenes
Like wavetables are the opposite of dynamic filters, drawable wavetables are the opposite of drawable filters. Simply, drawable filters would be the biggest revolution of subtractive synthesis, would probably replace the need for the vocodor, and would be an alternative to a dynamic EQ. If Serum had this feature on it's filter with the presets, it would be twice as good, but require more CPU and cost a lot more.
Attachments
experimental filter.fsm
(308.62 KiB) Downloaded 1013 times
MANDANA

Re: 3 awesome filter design ideas

Postby Spogg » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 am

Interesting!

I’m not clear just how a granular filter would operate. Maybe you could expand on the idea a bit…

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 pm

MANDANA wrote:All the following filters would be better coded, but its okay to use greens. The first filter idea I want credit for, you can play around with my experiments in my vsti, and even use the filters in your songs. Have fun with it. Couldn't post the .dll version because I couldn't attach it.

1. Effect(s) filters:
This filter design was inspired by NI' Massive's scream filter, which are heavily distorted filters with cutoff frequencies at being tracked to the harmonics of the input. I have created a filter to mimic the scream filter. The design is filter on 2+ harmonic -> effect -> filter on 1st harmonic. You can create some awesome filters using this design method.

2. Granular filters:
I don't know much about Granular synthesis, but I've played around with the Quilcom Harvester, and granular effects made by Spogg. I'm not really a fan of Granular Synthesis, but it would be cool filter. You could invent a new genre: Granular dubstep.

3. Drawable filters with scenes
Like wavetables are the opposite of dynamic filters, drawable wavetables are the opposite of drawable filters. Simply, drawable filters would be the biggest revolution of subtractive synthesis, would probably replace the need for the vocodor, and would be an alternative to a dynamic EQ. If Serum had this feature on it's filter with the presets, it would be twice as good, but require more CPU and cost a lot more.

Credit, NP. Maybe I'll try to make something with these for fun :)
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby MANDANA » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:43 pm

I have created a granular equalizer, but you can also call it a filter because you can control resonance, and the frequency range it applies to with knobs. All grains are random, and I have not figured out a way to make them follow patterns (predictable).
What would make this VST better would be to add an option to only allow frequencies in the western scale, be able to change the number of grains with a knob, and make the VST less laggy. If you can help me, you will also get credit for the VST, and will be able to do what ever you want with it.
MANDANA

Postby MANDANA » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:15 pm

Spogg wrote:Interesting!

I’m not clear just how a granular filter would operate. Maybe you could expand on the idea a bit…

Cheers

Spogg

I have created a granular equalizer, but you can also call it a filter because you can control resonance, and the frequency range it applies to with knobs. All grains are random, and I have not figured out a way to make them follow patterns (predictable).
What would make this VST better would be to add an option to only allow frequencies in the western scale, be able to change the number of grains with a knob, and make the VST less laggy. If you can help me, you will also get credit for the VST, and will be able to do what ever you want with it.
Be careful not to put the Max under the Min, vice versa, and it may glitch with loud noises, which I tried my best to reduce!

Here's the dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3hrsolkxs380y3/Experimental%20filter%20with%20Granular%20EQ.fsm?dl=0
Last edited by MANDANA on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
MANDANA

Postby martinvicanek » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:15 am

MANDANA wrote:3. Drawable filters

Like so?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13137
martinvicanek

Postby MANDANA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Kinda, but with frames similar to serum oscillator editor, if you don't know what that is, look it up on google images.
MANDANA

Postby MANDANA » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

I don't know why I can't upload my Granular EQ. Can someone tell me why?
MANDANA

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 am

MANDANA wrote:I don't know why I can't upload my Granular EQ. Can someone tell me why?

What message are you getting when you try to upload? What happens?

If it’s too big try zipping it.

If it’s still too big, put it on a cloud storage site like Dropbox and paste a link into your post.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby MANDANA » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:51 am

Spogg wrote:
MANDANA wrote:I don't know why I can't upload my Granular EQ. Can someone tell me why?

What message are you getting when you try to upload? What happens?

If it’s too big try zipping it.

If it’s still too big, put it on a cloud storage site like Dropbox and paste a link into your post.

Cheers

Spogg

I posted the dropbox link in one of the previous posts.
MANDANA

Return to User Examples