Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Polyphonic ROMPLER Schematic

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Polyphonic ROMPLER Schematic

Postby Nickateenbeats » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:18 am

Just wanted to share what I'm working on. Sorry i couldn't post the schematic as the file is to big.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tst3qj1ku ... OMPLER.zip

A few things to report:

The ADSR is behaving oddly, the attack knob is acting like more of a volume knob (Not sure how to fix it)

I tried to load 10 WAV files and save it. but i got an error in flowstone (some kind of memory error) hopefully someone can confirm if it's just my Laptop or not.

CPU jumps up to about 4-5% after playing a few notes. (Again this might just be my laptop's driver)

Any updates or adjustments would be great!
Nickateenbeats

Re: Polyphonic ROMPLER Schematic

Postby Duckett » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:12 pm

After poking around with/in it a bit, I'm not sure what you mean by the Attack knob behaving like a volume knob; it seemed to behave like a regular knob to me. I would recommend you take a look at Martin Vicanek's "Rational Mapper" approach to knobs, where if strictly logarithmic or linear behavior isn't what you like, you can adjust the midpoint to change the behavior (for example, if you have a typical 0-1 Min-Max range, being able to set the midpoint at 0.1, 0.8, or whatever suits your desire for the knob's behavior). Take a look inside "MV's LFO", the Speed and Depth knobs use this.
So, is the goal here to have a rompler the end-user can load their own files into, or to have a template for separate rompler instruments, like a few folks have made with Maize etc.? If the former, there needs to be some work put into a functional front panel file dialog. Hope you're enjoying FS, keep plugging away at it!
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Postby Nickateenbeats » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:01 pm

When i was adjusting the attack knob all it did was bring the volume up or down, it would occasionally change the attack time, but a few notes later it went back to acting weird. I will have another look at it.

And as for the knobs i will for sure check those out! Any link to the schematic?

And yes basically what I'm aiming for is something like a maize sampler (the user opens the VST and each file is already loaded, kind of like Nexus)

And one last thing, any idea as to why the CPU jumps to about 4-5%? Or is that normal?

Thanks again!
Nickateenbeats

Postby Duckett » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:31 am

I entered "rational mapper" into the forum search bar, and got a few results; here's one that has MV's mapper, as well as another solution to knob behavior by tulamide: http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14564&p=47635

Is the CPU jump from the exported VSTi, and, if so, what system/DAW are you testing it in? I'm not particularly knowledgeable about CPU usage issues, but anyone who is, would ask the same thing.

Some other additions are recommended; the ability for pitch bend, mod wheel control of filter cutoff (well, MIDI learn for any front panel parameter, really), and at least a fine detune knob (so that if a sample bank isn't quite the same pitch as a user's project, this is easily rectified).
Don't forget, even if you plan on eventually making this a "fun n' free" type of release, some people can and will absolutely still come back at you with "SomeOtherFreeRomplerX has this, that, and the other feature- NickateenRompler doesn't- don't bother, total garbage, worthless". Give such people as little excuse as possible to poop on your work ;)
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Postby Nickateenbeats » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 am

Ok thanks, i will have a look at those asap!

A lot of the CPU seemed to be coming from the reverb, an additional 5% (i might have misplaced it in the schematic). Also I'm testing everything in Flowstone on windows 8. (I'm also using a laptop so that might be the whole CPU issue).

As far as a pitch bend goes, i do plan on adding one as well as a detune knob. This is just a rough start i plan on adding tons of features to this (or at least trying).

And just 1 more question...is there anyway to remove the (.WAV) from the preset names on the top view? (When the user opens the ROMPLER they will only see for example "Bass - Cool")?

Thanks Again!
Nickateenbeats

Postby Duckett » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 am

The sample loader is currently set to display the filename, so you'd disconnect that output to the GUI, and have a preset manager display (you can easily keep the sample player's waveform display w/o the text, if that's preferable) which only shows the user the preset name text and forward/back buttons, etc.
Duckett

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 pm

I have not had the chance to test this but the very idea of it is very interesting. I look forward to testing it. Polyphonic always sounds nice after a bit of sampling somehow. Cheers and GL.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to User Examples