Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

WALLY Osc with 3-way Shape Mod

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

WALLY Osc with 3-way Shape Mod

Postby Duckett » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 am

After perusing the "Irregular Sine Waves" thread http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3781 and downloading some of the examples posted there, I opened Martin's PWM-SineGenerator and started messing around with it- and WALLY's the result. Why "WALLY"? Simply because shifting the knob all the way back and forth at a certain speed makes the osc sound like it's saying that- and I certainly didn't want to use any spelling that would get the lawyers from the House of Mouse frowning...

In any case, I'm very grateful for Martin's work, and the 3-way exclusionary switch was perfect for this- what it does is give you the option to adjust the wave shape with the knob alone, the knob plus an external source, or an external source alone. I did modify some of the code (though not greatly), and because I'm not exactly a DSP guru, there's probably inefficiencies galore, but I'm happy with the sound of it- very good for a range of EP and other retro key sounds. Probably not very useful for ultra-aggressive leads or basses, but see what you think.

I included a standard Multi LFO and Martin's "exponential ADSR w/ velocity" for testing external mod sources; I don't think rich and musical results are difficult even without filters, effects, etc. I've had fun making it and playing it- I hope someone else can enjoy it too (improving it wouldn't crush my feelings either)!

Here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ow5970y675qq68h/WALLY%20Osc%20with%203%20way%20ShapeMod.fsm?dl=0
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Re: WALLY Osc with 3-way Shape Mod

Postby Phil Thalasso » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 am

Thank you Duckett. Have a good sunday!
Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Re: WALLY Osc with 3-way Shape Mod

Postby Duckett » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:09 pm

You're welcome; please feel free to let me know what you think.

I had contemplated using the 3-way crossfade (which I can't seem to find the link to) for the shape mod modes, but while it takes up less space on a panel, it's not easy to label clearly, and there's not much point in "fading" between modes... I'm sure there's a 3-way toggle switch somewhere, but again, I was thinking that, as a user, labeled, "lighted=on" buttons are much easier to tell at a glance what's selected, than a toggle or dial.
I'd debated on whether to have a vertical layout rather than horizontal, but that's not exactly hard to change, if it suited a synth's front panel better.
Anyway, enough chatter from me, enjoy and thanks for replying :)
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Return to User Examples