Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

A new chorus-like effect

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

A new chorus-like effect

Postby martinvicanek » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi!

I want to share with you a chorus-like effect that I made. I wanted this to be different from what you hear in so many stomp boxes: a modulated delay line (often hopelessly out of tune) mixed with the dry signal. The result is a rather obvious wee-ou-wee-ou sound which, after a while, can become quite annoying. To me anyway. And most of all, it does not sound like an ensamble at all!

I wanted something much denser, completely random and smooth, ranging from subtle to rough. Extending the concept of my recent MVerb 7B, I experimented with convolution with white noise (which may be viewed as thousands of echos). The magic comes when you start to gradually change the white noise convolution kernel while you convolve. The result depends quite a lot on how exactly you evolve the kernel. I got best results with the lower frequencies changing slower than the higher frequencies - similar to the beating of two notes slghtly out of tune. There is also quite some tweaking regarding the parameters involved.

Finally I arrived at a point where I am quite happy with the result, however I am uncertain if I have not just got used to what I have been hearing all the time. So I am asking your opinion: what do you think?
Attachments
Chorous.fsm
(46.07 KiB) Downloaded 1172 times
martinvicanek

Re: A new chorus-like effect

Postby billv » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks martin.. it sounds great. Cheers :)
billv

Postby Halon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:57 am

Chorus is my favorite effect so Im sure i will like this ;)
Halon

Postby Spogg » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am

Well damn you Martin Vicanek! You’ve just invalidated the current project I’ve been working on for 39 days. :lol:

Seriously though, this is totally excellent. :ugeek:

My idea was to take a waveform table, perform FFT on it, randomise all the partials’ phases, then perform iFFT to make 9 separate tables with the same partial magnitudes but different phases. I did a quick subjective comparison and the results from your Chorous sound very similar. One difference is your system uses 5.9% CPU but mine, with no additional filters etc, uses about 12% CPU. Also mine can’t work on a live stream whereas your does, very successfully.

Both systems remove that flanging sound you get with more simple detuned delay/unison systems. That sound is nice in its own way but never sounds really like a true ensemble to my ears. I don’t believe it’s possible to create a completely convincing ensemble, for many reasons, but I think both our systems get close.

As a drop-in effect it’s certainly the best I’ve ever come across in terms of approaching authenticity. On my voice it really does sound like a multiplicity too.

Of course I will complete my synth. It’s quite advanced with several presets already made and makes a reasonable stab at being a brass/string section plugin. Then we can all judge it against yours.

I must say if I’d had your Chorous 40 days ago I might still have tested my idea, but I wouldn’t have been encouraged to make a complete synth.

You continue to amaze me with your wonderful products Martin.
We have much graphical talent here these days, so I hope someone will dress up the Chorous in a nice and worthy GUI.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

Lately I become more and more sad. When Martin posts something it's always worth using. The quality is just so good and the ideas, the will to find new ways, that's amazing.

And that makes me sad.

Because so far, none of the last 3 or 4 fantastic contributions work under FS4. And that means a serious loss for future projects.

"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:56 am

I had a look at the Chorous in the latest FS4 alpha.

The big ASM module is faulting with the triangle subroutine. The word triangle only occurs twice so I changed both to spogg and no more errors were reported. Just why it should prefer spogg to triangle I cannot imagine.

However, there is still no processed output from the module, only the live from the mix.

Martin, this should be brought to Maik’s attention, since with no (weird) errors reported I would expect it to work the same as in 3.08.1.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby BobF » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi all,
I agree with Tula, I am sad also, these are so good I can only dream of such devices. I often do that at night and it keeps me awake, and when I do research the next morning they then require complex math and assembly only Martin could do. Great sounding Chorus Martin I wish I had your skills. Like I said I often have an idea , but not the brains to execute it.

Great work Martin, keep them coming!

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Postby k brown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Simply marvelous! It indeed avoids the quality of choruses I've always disliked, as you describe. At some settings this almost acts as a room simulator; wearing headphones, send it a simple mono lead synth sound and as the mix is turned up, it begins to sound like an amped instrument playing in a room some distance away - standard choruses don't do this.

As to GUI, how 'bout sump'n colorful?
Chorous.jpg
Chorous.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 19860 times

Clicking on the small label at the upper right corner will allow selecting a variety of colors for the BG, including brushed copper. As the sliders are turned up, the rim of their 'tracks' begin to 'light up'.
Chorous_kbGui.fsm
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 1090 times

@Martin - I'm working on a complete re-vamp of my Yamaha CS-80-based synth; OK with you if I include this as an option to the lame SM chorus I started out with ?
Last edited by k brown on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby k brown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 pm

copper.jpg
copper.jpg (64.04 KiB) Viewed 19860 times
grey.jpg
grey.jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 19860 times
red.jpg
red.jpg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 19860 times
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby tulamide » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:55 pm

I like all the colors and couldn't decide on one. The mono in switch looks quite realistic. I don't like the knob and the VU meters, they don't really fit to the rest. And maybe a better contrasting color for the volume ring and the fader outlines (dpepending on final background color of course)?
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Next

Return to User Examples