Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Five Read-Head Delay

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Five Read-Head Delay

Postby BobF » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Bobs5ReadHeadDealy.fsm
(545.86 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

Hello Gang,
Well I was not going to submit this one because it was pointed out by Martin (thanks Martin) that it is breaking some rules. That is, it is writing over memory locations that it should not and making a lot of bad sounding, static, clicks, and pops. This was especially true for “Read Head” vales like 1.2432, 3.4456, and so on. That is any value with a fractional part. So I added a “Round” function to all the “Read Head” knobs just leaving a whole number and a great deal of the noise went away. So with this and a little filtering I have decided to post it. It still is NOT perfect, yet I believe good enough for many uses.

It provides doubling, harmony like sounds, echoes, echoes with harmonies, Phaser/Flanger like sounds, reverb like, and other bizarre sounds.

Functionality is pretty simple, there is the delay knob (.001 to 5000), the read head knobs ( 1 thru 5), a mix knob, feedback, volume, and then the output mix selector and last a kill button.
Think of this kind of like an old “Reel to Reel tape recorder” with one write head and five read heads. As the tape moves from the left reel to the right reel it first passes the write head and information is written on the tape (in our case memory), then it passes to the first read head and we hear it at our speakers, then the next read head and so on. Depending on the spacing of each head we hear an echo, even with no feedback. On my device there are five simulated read heads (reading from memory) and the knobs simulate a change in distance from each head to the next, and of course for more echos you can add feedback. The mix selector just selects different combinations of the five read heads (many sound the same). Just play around a bit. The mix knob of course adds in straight source material. The kill button lets you reset the thing if it gets to noisy. Spend some time with it and PLEASE let me know what you think.
Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated! Have fun and enjoy!
Later then, BobF…..
BobF

Re: Five Read-Head Delay

Postby billv » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:06 am

G"day Bob.... your schematic crashed my toolbox..what version of FS did you use?
billv

Postby BobF » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:52 am

Sorry, 3.07. All most everthing I have ever posted has been 3.07. First time I have ever heard of anyone having any problems. Again very sorry to hear though, BobF.....
BobF

Postby billv » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:54 am

Thanks Bob...Not sure where the problem is...I've downloaded your stuff before
with no issues..Strange :?
billv

Postby tulamide » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:40 am

I'm wondering, tbh. How should a schematic crash your toolbox? They are unrelated.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:52 am

First thing to say is that it loaded fine on my FS 3.06 system. So I can’t help thinking that the toolbox crash was a coincidence. :?

Now onto the delay…

I think the idea is great. In fact I was thinking of making a multi-head delay myself at some point.

Unfortunately, on headphones I can hear a ticking sound which is spoiling the effect for me. So as a proof of principle I think it’s good, and if you could get rid of the ticking it would be great. If you were able to make it sound clean then I would suggest adding a preset manager with a few presets.

I noticed you were using Ruby to convert the head knob outputs to integers. Is there a reason you didn’t just use Integer prims for the conversion? Or maybe knobs where you could set steps?

Thanks, as ever, for sharing your work Bob.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby billv » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:51 am

tulamide wrote:I'm wondering, tbh. How should a schematic crash your toolbox? They are unrelated.

Well..I tried again and got the same result.
Load the schematic and every single thing in the toolbox dissappears. :?
billv

Postby kortezzzz » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:03 am

Bob, thank you for sharing. Will test it later with the alfa (I'm still getting random out of memory crashes with 3.0.6 :?)

Billv, I got the same behavior of the toolbox! It happens if you double-click bob's fsm. icon itself to open the project. When I first opened FS and then opened the file (3.0.6) it didn't happen. When I did got this error again after double clicking, I pressed the upeer "help" tab to see which version of FS opened the project and on that point, FS just froze.
Killed the process, opened FS again and the toolbox is back.
kortezzzz

Return to User Examples