Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

FM Synth with a twist

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: FM Synth with a twist

Postby fixstuff555 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:34 pm

I think this synth is a work of art... I'm continually amazed at the simply breathtaking creations made with Flowstone. I come back every now and then to peruse the site to see if it's ever been taken back up (fingers crossed), and I still see jewels like this.. Well done sir.
fixstuff555

Postby k brown » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:52 pm

I appreciate the kind words - thank you.

Not sure what you mean by "...see if it's ever been taken back up (fingers crossed)" - are you referring to 64 bit? I think there's been considerable progress there.

Here's the six-op, multi-algo version I mentioned a few posts back, not a DX7 emu; more like a six-op expansion of the DX27/100, with 14 algorithms. Clicking on the simplified graphic representations on the left selects algorithm (lines between operators change to show algo connections); the DX7 equivalents are displayed at top. Each Carrier has a pan control. Unlike the DX instruments , any combination of operators can have feedback (even Carriers). Operators can choose from four different waveforms. Envelopes can toggle between AHDSR and DADSR.

Skematic6
Skematic6 copy 2.jpg
Skematic6 copy 2.jpg (177.93 KiB) Viewed 14666 times

Skematic6.fsm
(5.76 MiB) Downloaded 960 times

SkematicGS and SkematicGSx have been updated in their initial posts - improvements to the Amplitude Modulation controls.
Last edited by k brown on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 am

It’s coming on great!

I’ll have a good look when you’ve made a few presets for it.
Looking forward to hearing it in action.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 am

And a twist on a twist -

Quite by accident I encountered a description online of the core FM synth voice of the Synclavier and it was too tempting an idea not to play with. I always thought of that machine a a sampler; a competitor to the Fairlight; actually the sampling came later, the SC started as a straight synth with a very unique implementation of FM. It's core 'voice' (which was duplicated a few times in a few ways inside the synth) consisted of four Modulator/Carrier pairs in which the Carriers were additive oscillators with 24 partials! Cool! Gotta try it right? So I adapted the toolbox additive osc to produce 24 harmonics and with larger 'sliders'.

One of the main things missing from the core Synclavier FM/Additive 'voice' is that it had FM amount control for each of the 24 harmonics individually (and their phases adjusted invidually) - I imagine that to do that with FS would require 24 separate sine oscs per Carrier, no?

Has Martin or anyone ever done a lower-aliasing wavetable oscillator than the stock one used in this additive osc?

SkematicSC copy.jpg
SkematicSC copy.jpg (225.15 KiB) Viewed 14653 times

SkematicSC.fsm
(5.22 MiB) Downloaded 932 times

Same presets as ...GS and ...GSx with the Carriers set to sine, plus a few simple additive demo presets. This opens up enormous possibilities; one can get a pretty decent electric piano with just a single additive osc with no FM at all!
Last edited by k brown on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
k brown

Postby k brown » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:25 am

Updated schematic above with save/load for the additive waves.

Here are the presets so far, and a couple of .txt files with basic waveshapes (plus an EP approximation) to load into the add-oscs.

SkematicSC presets_addWaves.zip
(53.1 KiB) Downloaded 931 times

P.S.: A bit of an apology to Spogg - I just realized this (and much more) was already done on his Quilcom 4EA+!
k brown

Postby k brown » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Here are all the Skematic... synths in a single Zip -

Skematic_all.zip
(7.67 MiB) Downloaded 942 times

including a new one - SkematicWS :

SkematicWS copy.jpg
SkematicWS copy.jpg (206.19 KiB) Viewed 14371 times

which is similar to SkematicSP (which uses Martin's Spread Partials osc), but uses the Spread Partials' predecessor, Martin's WaveShape osc, which seamlessly morphs sine to a saw-like shape. SkematicWS has two of these per 'osc' so can produce pulse waves also and has a Saw/Pulse crossfader. Though the SP osc can also produce this saw-like shape, it has no phase input, so can't do pulse and can't do 'FM' (phase modulation). With SkematicWS, osc 1 can FM 2, 2 can FM 3 and 3 can FM 4. Includes a few simple 'demo' style presets.
k brown

Postby Halon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Wonderful stuff mr. Brown!
Halon

Postby k brown » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks, hope one or more are of some use.
k brown

Postby Halon » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:24 am

k brown wrote:Thanks, hope one or more are of some use.

All of them are :)
Halon

Previous

Return to User Examples