Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Additive Osc

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Additive Osc

Postby k brown » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:09 am

Anybody ever do a better additive osc than the toolbox one? Something that has quantifiable control of partials' frequencies and amplitudes; maybe phase adjust on each partial? Forum search really didn't turn up anything.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Re: Additive Osc

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 am

Well, the toolbox osc does provide adjustment for each individual partial. I find it hard to handle so many parameters, though. Not sure how to do that in a more efficient way. Perhaps it is a GUI thing?
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:50 pm

You might find something you can make use of in my Quilcom Wavemaker 4:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13373&start=0&hilit=quilcom+wavemaker+4

You can choose to randomise the partial’s phases, but to set each one individually would require a big modification and, given that our hearing isn’t sensitive to phase, may not be worth the bother. It’s proved useful for unison modes though, to have different randomised phases to reduce beating effects.

Regarding setting the frequency per partial, that would need a bank of sine oscillators, since an additive oscillator has fixed integer frequency ratios.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks guys - I think for the simplified version of the Synclavier's FM voice that I used in my SkematicSC (at the current end of the 'FM with a twist' thread), the tool box one is fine; I just thought if there was some way to set each partial's phase, that would be cool to include as the SC had this feature.

More important is, I tried to include the ability to copy the add-osc settings from one osc to another, as I did with the step LFOs in my PolyStep, but it didn't work because the toolbox add-osc has the Float Array Draw prim that the step LFO doesn't and I could figure out how implement it with that prim in there :oops: .

SkematicSC.fsm
(5.22 MiB) Downloaded 935 times

Here's what I did in PolyStep :

PolyStep II.osm
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 939 times

Any ideas? - I'd love to be able to copy add-osc settings for SkematicSC; would make it much more convenient to use. The method I tried initially 'worked' per-se, but the add-osc settings wouldn't hold when stepping through the presets, so I removed it.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:59 pm

The SkematicSC is lovely! :o

I had a look at the COPY thing and came up with a modification to the preset handling for the COPY x buttons so they are reset to default before the preset is changed.
This means they come out of copying mode so the graph presets are stored and re-loaded correctly.
Copying is thus an edit mode.

This was a quick and dirty fix, so have a look and see if it’s what you want. If not, I can look at it further.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
SkematicSC Spogg dev 1.fsm
(5.22 MiB) Downloaded 891 times
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:30 am

Appears to be doing the job - can't thank you enough!

Any idea where that particular selector came from? - all those Italian-labeled green maths. Are they all really necessary?
k brown

Postby Spogg » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:11 am

k brown wrote:Any idea where that particular selector came from? - all those Italian-labeled green maths. Are they all really necessary?

My best guess is that an Italian Flowstoner made it. :lol:

Generally, if a module works exactly as I want, I don’t question the green stuff. So I have no idea what it’s all doing and I don’t plan to spend any time working it out! Too lazy.

Glad my quick fix seems ok.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:30 am

My thoughts exactly,

Again, thanks so much!
k brown

Return to User Examples