Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

UI Design

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

UI Design

Postby tulamide » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Starting this thread without knowing exactly how to structure it. As a starter, here's a very good summary of what you should have in mind, when designing a UI. I highly recommend watching it, because it goes straight to the points!

https://youtu.be/nx1tOOc_3fU

If any of you think they have a great UI design source, please share it with me via pm first, because I want this thread to go a specific way, and I can then filter out, what's not suited right away (for example because it's too complex, too "tech-talky", too long, things like that).
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: UI Design

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:41 pm

As one frame of reference, I've always felt the commercial developer that consistently has great UI is u-he.

https://u-he.com/products/
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby tulamide » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 pm

k brown wrote:As one frame of reference, I've always felt the commercial developer that consistently has great UI is u-he.
Yes. There are quite a few that are good in following the guidelines, and U-HE is definitely one of them. I even made a thread a few years ago, where I shared pictures of good and bad synth GUIs. That was very interesting, but for this thread it is already way too much. The basics are more important here.

(My all-time favorite of U-HE GUIs is the Tyrell, btw :) )
tulamide

Postby kortezzzz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:58 pm

i don't know what's the actual title of this post, but can say that greatly designed soft synths psychologically sound at least 2 times better then how they really are since the pleasing view is somehow sweetening the sound :lol:

It has been tested few years ago in the human's world. 2 women, one extremely beautiful and one so so, were asked to give the same speech in front of 50 different men. Guess which of those 2 women got the "interesting and amusing" comments and which the "damn boring" comment?
kortezzzz

Postby tulamide » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:16 am

Back to topic.

I layed out a structure. It will assume that you know everything that's mentioned in the video, so make sure to watch it, before the next step. Here's the link again, for the lazy bunch :P

The Science of Great UI
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Absolutely fantastic video for someone like me!
Not only does he tell you the best ways but he also explains why, in terms of our vision system.

Thank you so much for this tulamide, and I look forward to more interesting and useful stuff.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby RJHollins » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Following to learn more.

Thanks Tulamide !

8-)
RJHollins

Postby Phil Thalasso » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Hello you all, and Tulamide,

I just wondered whether contributions are welcome or would you prefer to conduct something like a course or a tutorial?

Best regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby k brown » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:44 pm

I sure wish there was a different video covering this topic - I'm having a hard time getting past the idiotic super hero references :roll: .
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby tulamide » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:02 am

Phil Thalasso wrote:I just wondered whether contributions are welcome or would you prefer to conduct something like a course or a tutorial?
Yes, the concept is more of a course than a gathering of informations. I would prefer to keep control over what is posted here. There's so much to say about GUI design, but if all of it floods this thread unfiltered, it will confuse more than help.

What I present here are the very basics. You can't grow a tree without its roots. I'm convinced that helping people to help themselves is a better approach on the long run.

I often find material online, but I wouldn't share it here, because it is boring, long, complicated, without specific examples, etc. Instead I use that to filter it for the bits of information that are important here, and make it simpler, easier accessible. It is very rare to find a treasure like the linked video already simplified to the basics.

There are also very different approaches to this topic, and I would want to keep it in structure I decided to go with.
tulamide

Next

Return to User Examples