Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

OP1R A basic 1 operator FM synth

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: OP1R A basic 1 operator FM synth

Postby k brown » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:38 am

MichaelBenjamin wrote:useful ratios for FM modulation oscs are basically in 2 groups:

1. fixed
you can use any semitone with a finetune of +-0.5 cent, basically the whole continuuous spectrum
it stays always the same, regardless of carrier freq

2. relative
relative mode takes the user input (midi note, hz) and changes modulation frequency in basically 2 modes:
A. basic, overtone mode, add/sub a fixed ratio of X * carrier_freq_hz
B. advanced, musical mode, add sub a fixed amount of semitones, depending on your musical system and the carrier position in it

3. ?

:?:
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby k brown » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:02 am

Perhaps I should elaborate -

There is nothing mysterious or math-y about this. I've made several FM (phase modulation) synths and I haven't a clue what your post is about. FM operator ratios are simply frequency multiples - with a modulator-to-carrier ratio of 1:1, the modulator and carrier are the same frequency, ratio 2:1, modulator is twice the frequency (an octave higher) and so on. All whole-number ratios result in waveforms with harmonic ('in-tune') partials; in-between ratios (1.41, 3.14, etc.) result in waveforms with inharmonic ('out of tune') partials - good for bells, percussion, etc.

As to Fixed and Relative, again - ? With many FM synths, an operator can be put into a 'Fixed' mode which means merely that it's pitch no longer tracks the keyboard, and it's readout switches to frequency in Hz rather than a ratio; useful with a low frequency for adding the 'thud' of an electric piano sound, for instance. another use is placing a Fixed fr op in the middle of a three or more stack to produce a phasing or chorusing effect.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:46 pm

Downloaded, thanks :)
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Previous

Return to User Examples