Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Sampler with configurable loop point

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Sampler with configurable loop point

Postby az-terisk » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Hello,

The subject has already been raised on this forum but has, unless I am mistaken, never been followed up.

I'm trying to implement a loop point configurable to a sampler, but despite all my research and tests so far, this has unfortunately remained unsuccessful.

Would any of you have some leads to help me move forward here ? I know that I'm asking a lot of you at the moment, I apologize for that and thank you in advance for your answers.

Good evening to all of you ! :)
az-terisk

Re: Sampler with configurable loop point

Postby tektoog » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:37 am

Hey,
If you search in the SM archives, there's a sample player made by Exonerate at the time.
It's a good schematic to start from...
It's also been improved a lot by numerous people over the time, so you can probably find one version which will adapt to your thinking... ;)
Take care ;)
"Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences"
tektoog

Postby nix » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 pm

Hi mate,
here's a simple sampler I have been working on over the years,
hopefully the right schems are in the zip,
it does include a configurable release loop point in the release version
-the sample will loop while sustaining, then play the tail when the note is released
Attachments
Phonics sampler.zip
(566.07 KiB) Downloaded 1306 times
nix

Postby az-terisk » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:48 am

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answers.

The real idea is to be able to have a sampler able to "loop" the end of the sample thanks to a configurable loop point, in order to bring it a maximum of realism thanks to the repetitive side : for example, on a piano sound mixed with strings (violin ...). Until now, despite searching in the SynthMaker archives and many personal tries, I unfortunately never succeeded in doing so.

Nix, your work is close to what I want to do, so I'm going to study your Schematic and thank you warmly for sharing it with me.

Have a nice weekend ! :)
az-terisk

Postby nix » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 pm

hey thanks!

iirc- it was pretty difficult to hack that release in there,
but it should be a start I hope

the idea is to use the required sample/counter index on your loaded 'mem'/.wav

these schems for the alpha are based on that very old schem by Exo,
but I have re-written nearly all of it at one time or other
nix

Postby DSP-Robotron » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:49 am

The sample fsm doesn't work with the 32bit demo version of FlowStone.
Do I need a different version ?
Is there a 64bit version somewhere that I missed ?
DSP-Robotron

Postby az-terisk » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:51 am

Hi gang,

Since I wrote that last message, I've been working, in my spare time, on this sampler with this on-the-fly configurable loop point.

The initial idea is to enable the user to define a loop point on the fly, as soon as the sample playback reaches a value that the user himself has defined beforehand: https://ibb.co/RTNdjzp

In principle, it works as follows:

- two wave players ;
- a progress bar for sample playback;
- when the progress bar reaches the value defined by the user-configured loop point on the fly, there's a switch from the first to the second wave player.

After many attempts, I arrived at the result whose corresponding schematic can be seen here: https://ibb.co/7bByDM1

It works, but it's not ideal, as it's rather dirty and heavy, and I think that the use of "green" primitives is at the root of the problem I'm experiencing when reading the sample. Indeed, there's a slight "cut-off" or the sound "skips" slightly when there's a "switch" to the second wave player, which isn't exactly ideal...

My current skills don't allow me to go any further at the moment. If anyone has any ideas or avenues I could explore (ideally with sample diagrams), I'd love to hear from you ! ;)

Thanks a lot.
az-terisk

Postby Spogg » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:09 pm

My first thought is that I would avoid using selectors for the audio path because they’re controlled by green and they can cause a stream interruption when switching.
I’d be inclined to use a rapid cross-fade using stream multipliers controlled by green with a fast de-zip for the crossfade. Experiment with the de-zip time, starting at maybe 20mS…
Spogg

Postby az-terisk » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:46 pm

Spogg wrote:My first thought is that I would avoid using selectors for the audio path because they’re controlled by green and they can cause a stream interruption when switching.
I’d be inclined to use a rapid cross-fade using stream multipliers controlled by green with a fast de-zip for the crossfade. Experiment with the de-zip time, starting at maybe 20mS…

Thank you for your reply. I've made a few attempts of my own to follow your recommendations, but unfortunately without success. I must be doing it wrong.

By digging around in the forum and in the sample schematics stored on my hard disk, I found Quilcom Bridgit, which seems to exploit this technique. Perhaps I should go down this route instead and try to implement the cross-fade functionality I'm looking for in my own project to see how it renders afterwards?

Thanks again.
az-terisk

Postby Spogg » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:05 am

Ok, good luck!

If you don’t make suitable progress you could post your schematic here and get help from me and others.
Spogg

Return to User Examples