Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

I want to create some constant midi note, changed by midi in

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

I want to create some constant midi note, changed by midi in

Postby Matth23u » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:04 am

I would like to create an utility effect that receives midi notes but also generates a constant mono note that will move up and down according to what midi notes are received from input and change either instantly, or by the next time division, like, a quarter beat, a beat, 4 beats and so on, or time count, like, 1, 2, 5, 10 seconds.
So i would have a constant note, and i could have any midi input to make the pitch move up and down.
I haven,t used flowstone since years so i'm really rusty. I loved it before ruby, but after ruby, it became so esoteric :o
Matth23u

Re: I want to create some constant midi note, changed by mid

Postby Spogg » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:07 am

I would start off by taking a look at the MIDI Mono prim. I’m actually using this in my current project to pitch shift a bank of filters according to MIDI keyboard input.

It takes your keyboard MIDI and creates a green output pitch and frequency for the last note pressed (and also the amount of notes pressed).

Good luck with your project!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm

There is also a prim that lets you create MIDI messages (eg note on, note off) although Ruby offers much more flexibility.
martinvicanek

Postby tulamide » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:51 am

It might have become clear already, but I think it's ok to point out the basics:
1) Sending a note on, but not a note off creates a neverending note (of course you have to make sure an envelope will not decay the sound.

2) You then control the sound with CC messages (control change messages have too many options to note them all, head over to midi.org for details), like pitch bend, channel volume or panning, or you define your own CC messages.

3) When done with the note or when your plugin exits, send a note off.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:27 am

I should have also mentioned that the MIDI Mono prim will hold the value of the last note indefinitely, which is one of the things the OP wanted.
This prim doesn’t open a stream channel either, or deal with note on or off handling.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Matth23u » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:14 pm

I was an inch to try to fit in a "sample and hold"

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1UVr6uH4oSg/ ... -33310.jpg
Remember those old keyboards? On the left, the buttons works somewhat like a selector and it selects which backing note is played... So there's some mecanism that makes sure only one button is pressed and that unlocks any pressed button on pressure of a new button x) That's weird to explain, but well i hope that makes sense.

So with primordial MMono, will i just plug the output to midi port select and midi out and voilà? Or the message needs to be somehow remidified?

I'll probably spend weeks on making this perfect, so ill start very basic then i'll look into CCs

What i'll be using that for is to give a constant note from the software called "Imitone" https://imitone.com/

Flowstone is so fantastic for all sorts of purpose tasks. I don't know ruby at all... Once i figure it out i guess i could do some much more amazing stuff.

Right now i have to use my old projects and extract pre-ruby modules... With ruby knobs, the output is always ZERO, don,t ask me why, while old school modules outputs the correct number...

right now, i use FStone inside FL Patcher to manage automation messages, combine them and perform operations over them... If i could use Ruby to perform tasks like combining CC messages, or smoothing them.. It would be amazing.

Now that i think about it... I guess i can perform some more advanced tasks over midi notes, like arpegiating them or chording them? Aren't there packs of module chunks that still exists from pre-ruby flowstone? Or packs of nice assets i can freely use that do use ruby?

Reason why i love modular so much compared to code is that modular is It'sOwnLexicon while code requires reference books in which all functions has to be extracted from useful and useless functions that happens to be countless...

Like, i would have to learn programming ruby for web and robotics just to create a circular knob... That's a lil'bit crazy...

If FlowStone had a valid ruby expression lexicon with their syntax and drag and drop syntaxes, it would be so much more "modular" lol

Y'guys got some neat technique to turn sound to midi notes with FStone?
Matth23u

Postby Matth23u » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:47 am

I noticed something uncommon... Midi in out works well inside FL studio but inside Patcher, it seems like the signals won't go in or out. tho, CC automations do work properly.
I guess that it hasn't been tested before and that it wasn,t a noticed bug... Or that i do something wrong which can be likely.
If i select "FL studio" and filter port 1 inside patcher, it doesn't work, but as a synth or generator outside patcher, it's okay.
Matth23u

Postby Matth23u » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 am

Days later.
Hi, i'm glad the forums are back!
I made a schematic but it bugs.

I thought it would be great if i could do such a thing as i'll explain:
"Get time position and beat offset and according to the position of each not that is inputted, fit it to grid and if it's earlier, double-tap, if it'S even earlier, tripple-tap".

I'll show you what i've done yet, and i assume it'S probably way cheaper than what you would've imagined.

I use a time-fitted ticker in which i added some non-sync bpm division making the ticks somewhat, at least match the speed if not the sync.

I guess there's something wrong with note-off... Or something.

The more it runs, the more likely it is to send "c++ error" messages and crash FL Studio.

For the moment, the plugin runs like this:

I input imitone midi output as P1. I input it in the plugin as P1 and output it as P255 (Could be P2, there's a selector).(Oldschool pre-ruby prims made, like the old days)

Ticker emits a note at default pitch through the few midi modules, by some wizardry.

Notes also passes through, but like i said, i'd like to be able to manage the notes, stack them to the closest time division and use the time-difference as a way to make multiple-taps and somehow play drums with an arp later in the midi chain, outside synthmaker. That's why i want to fill time. And also to control vocoders!

But before i'm even there, i need to figure out how to prevent those c++ error prompts. If i catch one anytime soon, i'll EDIT and "Quote" it.
Attachments
schem.png
schem.png (33.14 KiB) Viewed 25880 times
combinateur de midi 1.fsm
(35.8 KiB) Downloaded 1245 times
Matth23u

Postby Matth23u » Fri May 03, 2019 10:16 am

I'm still trying to make something out of this.

The error i get is "this".
Error.png
Error.png (5.11 KiB) Viewed 25652 times

Every note played adds another pop up.

It happens when receiving notes through midi from imitone.

I'll try with "scores".

Strangely, it doesn'T crash when using mixed "scores" and ticks.

What's different from notes sent from "Fl Midi Out" and those from Imitone?

How could i, somehow, make notes played between each ticks just "stack" in a chord? Or be "quantitized" between ticks?

I realize that the bug is less common when i run imitone from inside FL... Maybe the issue is closer to FL or Imitone themselves than flowstone... But imitone causes no issue without Flowstone so maybe there's still something to do with flowstone after all... But that's a particularity, that using "imitone vst" isn't as crashy than using the standalone imitone. I guess i should link-back to this thread on imitone forums.

Tho, you guys mentioned i could do all of this stuff with Ruby... How could i get something similar to this and even more with simple ruby-newbie expressions?
Matth23u

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun May 26, 2019 2:55 pm

fl studio 10 is the best testing environment. But fl 12,20 is better for testing the vst's.
You'll never crass on FL 10. if You email the image-line people they give You an older reg key.

The only time You might crash is when You are using on a track You're mixing. But even then, rare.

I like 10 for dev, it supports vst3,64,vst,64 and has all of the same features. 11 had a mem hole. BTW, I haven't forgotten, i said I would make You that module for plugins that allows You to play notes always with your keyboard (if editor open) for the sake of ease of use.

I have'nt forgotten; I've been putting the finishing touches on a track.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Next

Return to DSP