Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

HardSync FM problem

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: HardSync FM problem

Postby Spogg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:15 am

I do hope there comes a solution which satisfies you Adam, and I would indeed love to see it.

One thing that bothers me about Martin’s idea is that it would surely involve a small delay while the simulation takes place. This would manifest as latency and could be up to 50mS, depending on frequency and phase adjustment. If this would be acceptable (which I doubt) then tulamide’s approach of blanking the first part-cycle would be a solution. Simply wait for the first sync pulse to arrive before allowing the output through.
The big issue would be with playing chords, since each note would start at a slightly different time I think.

Anyway, good luck!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 am

1. Start simulation at a sync point
2. simulate master and slave including FM up to the point where your real oscillator starts (no need to simulate a full cycle)
3. use the osc states at the end of the simulation as initial values for the real oscs

In blue stream you can do that in stage0. I don't think that's possible in poly, though. :(
martinvicanek

Postby adamszabo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:26 am

martinvicanek wrote:In blue stream you can do that in stage0. I don't think that's possible in poly, though. :(

Hmm, in a poly stream you can do a stage0 hack with bitmasks I think?

So you do declare:

int true = -1; //true bitmask
int false = 0; //false bitmask

then do some calculation and get values with: val & true;

then at the end of the code:

true = false;

from, there the "val" will not be active in the code anymore?
adamszabo

Postby adamszabo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:35 pm

I have played around with it some more and I think I might have something! If I modulate the synced saw with a static number (like 0.5 for example) I can get the phase1 to align correctly with any fm or semi1 or semi2 combination, but when I switch it to an osc wave (which is the whole point of FM) then it gets messed up again. The 3.0.8 FS version does not have some functions as in the Beta version, so I had to use assembly to simulate the stage 0 for poly signals. Martin (or anyone else) do you have any ideas why the static number works but the not the osc?
Attachments
hardSync_prob_adam_halfwaythere.fsm
(36.38 KiB) Downloaded 1013 times
adamszabo

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:20 pm

OK I have implemented my proposal. It does work in the demo, however I am not sure it can be applied in poly?
Attachments
hardSync_prob_adam_MV'd.fsm
(61.13 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
martinvicanek

Previous

Return to DSP