Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Splines and DSP

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: Splines and DSP

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:54 am

I would just like also to add that a spline-based control system would be SO nice to have, having read trog's comments.

When I was playing with trog’s thing I made an exponential decay and it did take time to get the several slope segments right. In fact it needed a lot of nodes to sound smooth (especially so for a filter sweep) and, as trog said, to change the slope after would have been a lot more work.

My praise for trog’s work was well justified I think. I marvel at his talent, but that doesn’t mean the spline thing has been displaced, so go for it Tom!
I can’t wait to see it!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Spogg wrote:...so go for it Tom!

Who's that "Tom"? :mrgreen:
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:22 pm

tulamide wrote:
Spogg wrote:...so go for it Tom!

Who's that "Tom"? :mrgreen:

Oh I see. You've forgotten your name then?
:lol:
Spogg

Postby nix » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 am

the wavetable osc is owesome Trog! ty- !
nix

Postby trogluddite » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks, nix; I'm glad you like it! As I said to Spogg, I'll post it in its own thread once I have the sync options etc. added in and the stream code optimised to ASM. I just want to get the little Ruby API that I promised tulamide finished first. In fact, that should go hand-in-hand with improving the wavetable-osc, as tulamide's splines would be a great way to adjust the cross-fading curves between wave segments; oscillators and modulators would then have almost the same GUI.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks trogluddite, this is very useful code and I find the cencept very interesting.

I remember looking at the arpeggio sequencer made by Nix with the same amount of awe. There's a lot of potential. But, I am curious would there be an issue in faster than real time for bouncing?

Thanks,
Robert
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby trogluddite » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:20 pm

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:But, I am curious would there be an issue in faster than real time for bouncing?

Good question! :?

Experience suggests that it may depend on the VST host. The stream code itself shouldn't present any problems, and would certainly be fine if the tempo "clock" is free-running (it's all calculated by counting incoming samples in that case). But if the tempo is slaved to the VST host, it will depend on whether the host passes Tempo/PPQ signals correctly when it's rendering off-line. I have a vague memory that we've had problems with that before in some hosts (a bit like the hassle with FL's non-standard interpretation of PPQ "quarter-notes").

I've made similar "PPQ synced" modules before (e.g. my SyLFO), which have always rendered fine in Reaper (my usual DAW of choice); but in practice, having a bunch of testers try out all of the different hosts is the only way to know for sure. I also haven't tried out the Alpha's new double-precision PPQ/Tempo/etc. primitives, which should allow much tighter timing, especially on long songs. I haven't got my head around what DSP/ASM changes DP and/or 64-bit might require yet, so it may be some time before I have any code available to test those out.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tulamide » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 am

@trog You really shouldn't do this!

Each time you post in this thread I think "that's it, now comes the version I wait for". I have a tender soul, trog. My poor aching heart! :o :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby RJHollins » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 am

pulls at the ole heart strings ...

:lol:
RJHollins

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:40 pm

I'm weary of ruby, but it would be ideal for such an operation. I'll look at the examples and try to learn what I can. It's an exciting project Tulamide.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

PreviousNext

Return to DSP