Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Piano Synthesis

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Piano Synthesis

Postby adamszabo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 pm

To make it work on the alpha, remove the hammer noise module, its causing an INF, i have no idea why though
adamszabo

Postby kortezzzz » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:41 pm

tulamide wrote:Please accept, that everything on this very forum will exclude Flowstone Alpha. If something doesn't work ask for help in the slack group. I say this, because I want everyone who reads here to understand that Flowstone 3x and Flowstone Alpha are two very different things.

It's an alpha, and still in the testing phase.

So please, all who read here: Keep the alpha version excluded from this forum :)

Ok got it. Although my situation is rare. I can't work with 3.0.6. It crashes after the 3th-4th action I make with the "out of memory" message.

adamszabo wrote:To make it work on the alpha, remove the hammer noise module, its causing an INF, i have no idea why though

Thanks Adam. Also the "velocity sens" module caused a stacked audio here. After removing, it plays normally.
kortezzzz

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:43 pm

adamszabo wrote:the hammer noise module, its causing an INF
Fixed, thank you Adam. Also simplified after Trog`s hint.
Attachments
MVsPiano2.fsm
(63.09 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
martinvicanek

Postby adamszabo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:52 pm

martinvicanek wrote:
adamszabo wrote:the hammer noise module, its causing an INF
Fixed, thank you Adam. Also simplified after Trog`s hint.

Cool it works now! So the "check for changes" code that you changed, how does that work right now?
adamszabo

Postby trogluddite » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:09 pm

If it's what I suspect, it relies on the way FS initialises things at note-on. The sample-counter in 'ecx' always gets reset to zero at a note-on, to ensure that the first sample of the new voice never gets jumped over if you were using hopping (it might otherwise lead to missing a gate impulse, for example).
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm

This is exciting and I will take a look, thanks Martin.

I was thinking about piano sounds being synthesized and assumed it would take a great deal of attack and release imposed to various artificial sounds but preceded by an intensely smooth, almost noisless bassy hammer sound that is its own synthesized instrument altogether.

Furthermore, the tremolo and shrillness would happen after the instance of the mid tone. I guess using that method it would involve a lot of crossover. I'll make sure to post My observations; thanks for sharing.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:28 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby Spogg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:57 am

When a piano hammer hits a string a lot happens! The contact time is said to be around 5-10mS (depending on a lot) during which time the string is both excited and damped. After it’s bounced off the string you hear the “sustain” and the harmonics play out.

I found out experimentally that the strike sounded better if the hammer sound amplitude modulated the string sound for that short time. That was counterintuitive because initially I thought just mixing the sounds together would be sufficient. But that’s not what happens, because there’s a brief interaction between the hammer and strings and you hear it. And we all know just how important the attack part is for identifying an instrument.

Another thing to think about is the volume contour, which is quite complex. It seems to resolve into basically a two-stage decay, the first part being fast and the second part much slower relatively, and both being exponential in shape. Strike force (velocity) influences the height of the first decay phase.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:06 pm

Spogg wrote:When a piano hammer hits a string a lot happens! The contact time is said to be around 5-10mS (depending on a lot) during which time the string is both excited and damped. After it’s bounced off the string you hear the “sustain” and the harmonics play out.

I found out experimentally that the strike sounded better if the hammer sound amplitude modulated the string sound for that short time. That was counterintuitive because initially I thought just mixing the sounds together would be sufficient. But that’s not what happens, because there’s a brief interaction between the hammer and strings and you hear it. And we all know just how important the attack part is for identifying an instrument.

Another thing to think about is the volume contour, which is quite complex. It seems to resolve into basically a two-stage decay, the first part being fast and the second part much slower relatively, and both being exponential in shape. Strike force (velocity) influences the height of the first decay phase.

Cheers

Spogg

mmhmm, that would explain your last piano synth's reaction to the equalizer, it had dampened those effects you'd mentioned in an overbearing way. I can't help but to feel that a three or four band EQ is best for that so that it doesn't damage the sound.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Previous

Return to User Examples