Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Help needed with .exe file issues.

For general discussion related FlowStone

Help needed with .exe file issues.

Postby TimC » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:58 pm

Greeting all, I hope 2023 has been going well for you! It has for me too, EXCEPT for 2 issues:
ISSUE 1 [the most urgent]: I'm making an app. to experiment with input key layouts, sizes and so on. In general the app is working well (sorry, I wont show the whole thing, IP issues!). But I simply CANNOT find a way to make edits using the app. itself and save them.
I've made a simple '1 button' version to give some idea of what I'm doing, and what I've attempted to do to solve the save issue. You can move the 'TEST' button around (left mouse button), change the size (right mouse button), then save it with the changes, which works fine with the .fsm file. Obviously at the moment, just closing the .exe app. DOESN'T save the changes. I can do a ctrl-S , get a window up, and save it, but if I put a .exe file extension, when I try to open it I get a message saying "This app can't run on your PC", so it clearly isn't saving as a .exe file. Your urgent help in this matter would be MUCH appreciated!

ISSUE 2 [nice to have]: I'd like to have my app. generate output so that on 'typing' the keys with the app on (say) a Windows tablet, it outputs to other applications such as Word or Excel. I guess this means referencing external DLLs, which I have looked into a little bit, but haven't a clue how to find which DLL to reference, and what calls to make. Again guidance would be very appreciated.
one key example.fsm
This is the one button FS example
(290.78 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

I would attach the .exe export, but can you not attach .exe files to these posts?

TimC
TimC

Re: Help needed with .exe file issues.

Postby Spogg » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:15 am

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

Wow that’s a huge box of Ruby code! I’m impressed! :o

First point is that you can attach anything inside a zip to a forum post but the range of unzipped files is limited. If the size of the zip is too big (you get a warning), you could use a Dropbox or similar link.

I don’t know how or even whether you can export anything from a FlowStone exe file. Maybe someone else can clarify that. I think it would be worth looking into the preset system though. This can generate presets as text files which can be saved and loaded. This might help since you could have all the settings and configuration for any arrangement and you might be able to use a custom spreadsheet or something similar, to parse the text file into something useful for you.

Although I’m well out of my depth with this, I find the idea fascinating!
Spogg

Postby TimC » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:54 am

Hi Spogg and thanks for your initial response. You think that was big, you should see the original that it was trimmed out from!
I must admit I haven't looked much at the preset system, which I will now do, even though It doesn't seem very intuitive! I'll let you know if it works, but I'm a little sceptical as much of the data is arrays of arrays...
So far as the other matter is concerned, I need to be in touch with a .dll expert. I don't suppose you happen to have one in your back pocket do you?
Although I've done very little on this forum, researching how to do things has led me to many of your posts, which have been very helpful, so I'd like to think you for that.
TimC
TimC

Postby billv » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:01 am

Try this schematic...it has Preset manager that saves and loads in an exe.
Hope this helps.. :D
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95162#p237484
billv

Postby Spogg » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:35 am

TimC wrote:... I must admit I haven't looked much at the preset system, which I will now do, even though It doesn't seem very intuitive! I'll let you know if it works, but I'm a little sceptical as much of the data is arrays of arrays...
TimC

Yes the preset system can only store what I think may be called “flat” arrays as opposed to nested arrays. I may have the terms wrong, but I understand your point. Also, in order to be able to load and save arrays, you need to define the size of each array which has then to remain fixed.

In practical terms it means you would have to manipulate your data structure to fit the preset system, which is actually defined by Steinberg’s vst protocol, although if you’re not using it for audio plugins you could break some rules I guess.

One example is if you wanted to store very long strings you’d need to convert the characters into a float array then convert back to a string when reloading a preset.

If you decided to use the preset system I would say you first need to understand the limitations then create the app to work within those. It’s a bit like having the tail wag the dog! :lol:
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:01 pm

When you use loadState and saveState in Ruby, it makes use of the Marshal module. You can use it as well. It generates a binary string, which you can simply save with the File class/IO class and later load in.

Usage:
Code: Select all
result = Marshal.dump([myArray, myVar, "some string", in_short_any_object])
some_array, some_var, some_string, some_obj = Marshal.load(result)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby TimC » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:43 pm

billv wrote:Try this schematic...it has Preset manager that saves and loads in an exe.
Hope this helps.. :D
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95162#p237484

Thanks a lot for that billv, I'll take a look.
I'll have a look at some of your plugins too!

TimC
TimC

Postby TimC » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 pm

Spogg wrote:
TimC wrote:... I must admit I haven't looked much at the preset system, which I will now do, even though It doesn't seem very intuitive! I'll let you know if it works, but I'm a little sceptical as much of the data is arrays of arrays...
TimC

Yes the preset system can only store what I think may be called “flat” arrays as opposed to nested arrays. I may have the terms wrong, but I understand your point. Also, in order to be able to load and save arrays, you need to define the size of each array which has then to remain fixed.

In practical terms it means you would have to manipulate your data structure to fit the preset system, which is actually defined by Steinberg’s vst protocol, although if you’re not using it for audio plugins you could break some rules I guess.

One example is if you wanted to store very long strings you’d need to convert the characters into a float array then convert back to a string when reloading a preset.

If you decided to use the preset system I would say you first need to understand the limitations then create the app to work within those. It’s a bit like having the tail wag the dog! :lol:

There'll be no tail wagging THIS dog ;) I'll press on, with what guidance has been posted. You're right about the flat arrays, Spogg, so yet more juggling and jigging required! It's a good job I enjoy programming!
By the way Spogg, all this time of seeing your posts, I've only just noticed, you're based just up the road from me!! I'm in Coventry! Let me know if you ever come over. TimC
TimC

Postby TimC » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:50 pm

tulamide wrote:When you use loadState and saveState in Ruby, it makes use of the Marshal module. You can use it as well. It generates a binary string, which you can simply save with the File class/IO class and later load in.

Usage:

Thanks for that tulamide, I'll do some investigations!

TimC
TimC

Postby Spogg » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:53 am

tulamide wrote:When you use loadState and saveState in Ruby, it makes use of the Marshal module. You can use it as well. It generates a binary string, which you can simply save with the File class/IO class and later load in.

Usage:

Ooh that’s interesting!
So if I understand correctly, Tim could stay completely in the Ruby world…?
Spogg

Next

Return to General