Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Newbie question. Mixing Poly and Mono in schematics?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Newbie question. Mixing Poly and Mono in schematics?

Postby R&R » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:23 pm

tulamide wrote:Something like this? I might have misunderstood. That's normal, when I don't read a super precise text that covers all eventualities :lol:

8-)
Not exactly... but close.
The separation has to be between the knob-interaction part and the preset module (Param-prim).
In other words one knob (excluding the preset module) instead switching between several preset-modules.
R&R

Postby Spogg » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:42 pm

Is this more like what you have in mind?

Seems to work…
Attachments
Mplexed knob dev 1 .fsm
FS 3.06
(83.24 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Spogg

Postby R&R » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:25 pm

Spogg wrote:Is this more like what you have in mind?

:D Naaaw... like this... or any simplified variation of it. Well, this seems to work also.

Hmmm... this seemed to easy. Why on earth didn't I try this sooner :lol: and why do I always become suspicious that things won't work in the real scenario when something is this simple in FS :lol:

I think I have the record now for "most and largest" selectors and multiplexors ever, even before a mod like this would be done :roll:

Edit #2:
At least for my purposes with the knob Spogg posted, I needed trigger switches to block value from the knob interaction-module overwriting the selected presets value. Added them to the file.

Edit #3:
Also the "set" trigger switch and redraw limiter part of the preset modules has been moved to after the selector.
Attachments
preset_switching_4.fsm
(14.33 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Last edited by R&R on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
R&R

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:58 am

Your solution is similar but better than mine. In yours I believe the selected preset will allow the knob to show automation movement on the GUI. Also I like the fact that the destination selected for the knob is recalled in the preset, whereas mine didn’t do that. Well done!

I suggest you make something dead simple and test it in a VST export in your DAW, just in case it needs more attention.
Spogg

Postby R&R » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:47 am

Was afraid it would glitch when changing presets, that's why I never bothered to try it before. Also the reason I
enquired about it...

Spogg wrote:I suggest you make something dead simple and test it in a VST export in your DAW, just in case it needs more attention.

Dead simple it is... Throwing it in my plugin right away then :lol:

The layout of my synth allows for changing out a any number so I can try with 30 of these and test out for a while to see if it acts up when changing presets with such large schematic as a whole....

Suspect I can make away with several hundred kilobytes worth of schematic size if it works. That's great...

Edit:

I think my .fsm at that time was at 8mb... I don't know the exact size at which it failed.

Suspect I can make away with several hundred kilobytes worth of schematic size if it works.

Quoting and correcting myself. I suspect instances (copies) stays copies inside .fsm files but likely do consume ram memory. So I should see a dip in ram usage by the plugin or FS as I reduce instances? But file size should roughly stay the same, I guess.

Wonder how FS handles instances in exports? I guess the FS-engine stays the same in the exports...
R&R

Postby R&R » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:41 am

Yay! :P v0.41

Finally got poly2mono LFO modulation to fly. Not the most beautiful solution but it seems to work.

:oops: Also noticed I had sabotaged my pitch and velocity modulation in previous export (maybe even some earlier versions). Fixed and updated.
R&R

Postby R&R » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:00 pm

Trying to reduce and micro-optimize some more.
Would be really nice to use the syncable LFO oscillators that Spogg posted earlier...

The transition time seems like a great option instead of the toolbox smoothing I resorted to.

Don't know if you can help me with this one also Martin? In case you're very restless maybe ;)
I won't be doing my own ASM any time soon :lol:

The issue preventing me from using them was (if I remember) that these LFO Osc's don't offset phase when receiving sync.
Attachments
MVs_sync_LFO.fsm
(38.71 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
R&R

Postby R&R » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:04 pm

Btw I created a Frankenstein triangle using Poly that's inside my plugin.
Somehow... :D I suspect you've already made one of these in ASM MV?

Exp_triangle.jpg
Exp_triangle.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 5605 times
R&R

Postby Tepeix » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:32 pm

I think, this might be a triangle, multiplied 2 time by itself.
In this case, the triangle might be aliased unless we use special technique.
I don't know how to make it bandlimited with the Blep or Poly blep..
But you could oversample or use a filter before the multiplication.

The x^3 do one harmonic at 1.5 octave.
Tepeix

Postby R&R » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:09 pm

Tepeix wrote:I think, this might be a triangle, multiplied 2 time by itself.
In this case, the triangle might be aliased unless we use special technique.
I don't know how to make it bandlimited with the Blep or Poly blep..
But you could oversample or use a filter before the multiplication.

The x^3 do one harmonic at 1.5 octave.

Yes it's a x^3...
I'm feeding the regular toolbox triangle osc into some multiplier-prims etc so I can mix between the these curves seamlessly at any rate. It does have some aliasing...
For my needs however, this poly-prim solution has almost non existing aliasing in the LFO range.
But it's not very optimal overall, since it probably uses alot of unnessecary cpu... since i am also forced to use the toolbox triangle, or a DSP triangle.
R&R

PreviousNext

Return to General