Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synced LFO

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synced LFO

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:19 pm

So you're saying as long as you have two mono outputs on the module not connected to anything and export to VST, the host will link those outputs to audio?

I have always used Audio Out primitives in my plugins, and indeed needed to in order for them to work. Is this somehow incorrect for exporting VSTs? And indeed, when I open Father's examples they don't work at first but come to life as soon as I add the Audio Out, and this includes exports (they don't work without but do work with).

Again I'm only using the FL version of Flowstone, so if there's any differences here I'd like to know about it. Do the Audio Out primitives I posted above not exist at all in the non-FL version? I don't have ASIO Out or Direct Sound Out.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby tulamide » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Perfect Human Interface wrote:So you're saying as long as you have two mono outputs on the module not connected to anything and export to VST, the host will link those outputs to audio?

Yes, exactly.

Perfect Human Interface wrote:I have always used Audio Out primitives in my plugins, and indeed needed to in order for them to work. Is this somehow incorrect for exporting VSTs?

Yes and No. Since you can't test in the schematic without those prims, it's ok to have them in the schematic. Just make sure the part you want to be exported as VST/VSTi is in its own module. Exporting is done by using the module's "Create VST/VSTi" option (just for your information).

Perfect Human Interface wrote:Again I'm only using the FL version of Flowstone, so if there's any differences here I'd like to know about it. Do the Audio Out primitives I posted above not exist at all in the non-FL version? I don't have ASIO Out or Direct Sound Out.

There are differences between those versions. I said some time ago, that FL Flowstone acts much like a host within a host. But maybe this is the better picture: Imagine FL FS as a modular synth, the schematics as its presets and the FL exports as Snapshots.
With this picture in mind, the differences make sense: There's no dedicated out link like asio out because FL Studio is the host of FL Flowstone and therefore is the audio master. The audio out prim is then the equivalent to the mono outs for exported VSTs. It just routes all audio data to FL Studio. The same is true for audio in: Its counterpart in exported VSTs are the module's mono ins.

I don't know if it is still true, but I once read that Flowstone will take care that stock prims/modules won't appear in the version they don't belong to. Like when you save your schematic with audio out, this prim is non-existent, when I open your schematic.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:47 am

Indeed, and this makes things clearer (although again frustrating to discover it this way instead of being explicitly documented somewhere).

But there's still the problem. The schematic in question works for me. It apparently doesn't work for Father in VST export. So the questions are: why is this; how was I supposed to know; and most importantly, what do I do about it?

I'm hoping it's some simple tweak of some sort because if I found out all my work from the past year doesn't work in VST export or something I'd be pretty pissed, haha.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby tulamide » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:08 am

Perfect Human Interface wrote:But there's still the problem. The schematic in question works for me. It apparently doesn't work for Father in VST export. So the questions are: why is this; how was I supposed to know; and most importantly, what do I do about it?
I just made a quick test. Downloaded Father's (what an alias!) schematic, changed the stream outs into mono outs and exported as vst effect. In Reaper it seems that saw is somehow out of phase, but I didn't look up how it's calculated. But even if it should be out of phase, all, including saw run on time. So, I'm not sure, what exactly the issue should be.
sync lfo test.rar
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 1550 times

Perfect Human Interface wrote:I'm hoping it's some simple tweak of some sort because if I found out all my work from the past year doesn't work in VST export or something I'd be pretty pissed, haha.
This won't happen. It's just the start and end points of the chain that differ, the rest is all the same for both versions.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:51 am

So perhaps it was just the outputs that he had set incorrectly?

Thank you tulamide for patiently explaining so much. It seems like such a little issue in the end but I was concerned maybe I had gotten something horribly wrong. :P
Perfect Human Interface

Postby Nubeat7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:56 am

it cannot work because hz is set to 0 when play is on... i also don't understand what you are doing with barposition to phase, this is always 0... you would need to calculate the the correct position in the lfo cycle which is the one i did and acompare it to 0 because the osc phase gets set to 0 when play turns on...

beside that triggering sync with green will not be sampleaccurate so you would need to do all in blue to work accurate and it still will have the issue that it only works when you start playing but not when changing the songposition cursor while playing or when you have a looplenght unequal to the lfo cycle...
Nubeat7

Postby Nubeat7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:04 am

anyway the idea is not so bad, because you could trigger a sync (set back to 0) with different calculations like each bar, like this you could run the lfo at any speed and it always sets back to 0 on each bar change or every beat which would be an interesting thing
Nubeat7

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 am

It does indeed work. It's just moving the phase instead of oscillating. So while the oscillator does not oscillate on its own, the phase is continually set to the correct position in the song time with the PPQ value. I kind of turned the concept on its side with that but the end result is correct, I promise!

You are correct that it's not sample accurate. I have doubts this is important though. Either way it's limited to PPQ rate, so you won't be doing anything fast with it. I did just drop the stock oscillators in there though, so you end up with whatever shape they produce. Is your design calculating ideal waveforms Nubeat? That could be a benefit if so.

My design was meant to allow for the LFO to function with or without playback so it's serving that purpose for now. Of course there may be a better way of doing it and I'm open to that.

On another note, I just tested your last upload Nubeat (the "FL Studio" version) and the waveforms don't seem to be functioning correctly. The sine and saw only occupy half the range, triangle is working like saw, and square isn't moving. So I think you've got something off in there.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby Nubeat7 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:46 am

Perfect Human Interface wrote: So while the oscillator does not oscillate on its own, the phase is continually set to the correct position in the song time with the PPQ value

maybe it should but ppq isnt connected anywhere! so lfo stops when play is on...like i already told you the pase connection from 'barposition' module is always 0
Perfect Human Interface wrote: Is your design calculating ideal waveforms Nubeat?

it isn't producing any waveforms it just calculates a ramp in different speedmeasures with PPQ which you could use for stepsequencers or osc`s.
Perfect Human Interface wrote:My design was meant to allow for the LFO to function with or without playback
like i mentioned at the beginning you can use the ramp primitive for this and use 'is plying' bool to select it..while i still ask myself how needful this is, for what i need a lfo when nothing is playing? (except searching new samples which i can do in running mode too)
Perfect Human Interface wrote: I just tested your last upload Nubeat (the "FL Studio" version) and the waveforms don't seem to be functioning correctly. The sine and saw only occupy half the range, triangle is working like saw, and square isn't moving.
i didn't programmed the waveforms ...
Nubeat7

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:46 am

Nubeat7 wrote:maybe it should but ppq isnt connected anywhere!

Oh I see now... You downloaded one of Father's examples instead of what I had uploaded.

Problem.PNG
Problem.PNG (15.41 KiB) Viewed 29573 times

There's your problem, Mr. Father. ;)
Perfect Human Interface

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples